Instructor Reappointment Process
Instructor reappointments: Due November 1 of the final year of appointment.
A letter of offer is generated when an instructor is hired. (See http://artsandsciences.colorado.edu/facultystaff/recruiting-and-hiring-instructors/ for details.) Instructors must be hired at 50% or greater time and for periods of two or three years for those at 100% time, and from two to four years for those who are less than 100%. Appointments for one year or less, or percentages below 50% are to be made using the title and salary scale of “lecturer.” Instructors are added to the merit roster upon initial appointment. Once an instructor is on the merit roster, s/he remains on the roster regardless of the length of reappointment.
During the last year of appointment, the reappointment process, described in the Tips for Completion of Instructor Reappointment Notebooks (see link below), is followed.
After reappointment materials have been reviewed and the Chair/Director and the Associate Dean have agreed upon reappointment details, the department drafts an offer letter and sends it to the College for review. Upon receipt of approval of the draft, the department prints the letter and begins gathering signatures in the order as shown on the letter. The original, accepted letter is sent to the Dean’s office. The Dean’s office staff then email a final copy to the department’s program assistant (who shares a copy with the faculty member), to the Chair, and to the A&S HR Center for entry into the payroll system. One copy of the letter goes into the College’s personnel file for the faculty member, whereupon the process is complete.
Contact Susan Sires at 303-492-4933 or via e-mail at Susan.Sires@colorado.edu with questions regarding the instructor reappointment process.
Instructor Reappointment Materials
- College of Arts and Sciences Instructor Appointment Guidelines of February 2014
- Frequently Asked Questions: created by the Boulder Faculty Assembly with input by the College
- General Notes Regarding Instructor Reappointments – for use with the College of Arts and Sciences Instructor Appointment Guidelines of February 2014
- Instructor Reappointment Checklist (revised 1/22/15; opens in Word)
- Reappointment Options and Documentation Required (in table form)
- Tips for Completion of Instructor Reappointment Notebooks (revised 1/22/15; opens in Word)
- Background Check Request email template for lecturer and instructor reappointments
- Option 1: 100% time, 3+3 teaching load, 75% teaching/25% service
- Option 2: 75% time, 3+3 teaching load, 85% teaching/15% service
- Option 3: 100% time, 4+4 teaching load, 85% teaching/15% service
- Other Less-than-100% time options: 50%, 62.5%, and 87.5% time
- Reappointment Ballot – Instructor (sample)
- Reappointment Ballot – Senior Instructor (sample)
- Recommendation and Notification Form (previously called the Summary form) (opens in Excel)
- Requesting Student Letters of Evaluation – Template
- Service Addendum Template
- Academic Affairs Takes Action on BFA Instructor Task Force Recommendations — a 12/9/08 memo from Provost Philip DiStefano. (PDF)
- Additional Teaching Assignment Allowances for the College of Arts and Sciences
- Background Check Policy
- Background Check Information – a Synopsis of the Requirement for Faculty
- Background Check Query – how to run a report showing all faculty in a department with their background check completion dates
- Boulder Campus Guidelines for the Appointment, Evaluation, and Promotion of Lecturer and Instructor Rank Faculty (PDF)
- Instructor Rank Reappointment Evaluations, Standards for – Personnel Committee memo dated 4/7/2011
- Non-Reappointment Review Process for Instructor Rank Faculty Members (PDF File)
- Promotion to Senior Instructor
- Ten Ideas for Satisfying “Multiple Measures of Teaching” (PDF)
- Service Suggestions from the College (opens in Word)