Instructor Reappointment Process
Instructor reappointments: Due November 1 of the final year of appointment.
A letter of offer is generated when an instructor is hired. Instructor must be hired at 50% or greater time and for a period of two-to-four years. Lesser periods of appointment or percentages are to be made using the title and salary scale of “lecturer”
An instructor is added to the merit roster upon initial appointment. Once an instructor is on the merit roster, s/he remains on the roster regardless of the length of reappointment.
After the initial offer letter, the reappointment process, described in the Tips for Completion of Instructor Reappointment Notebooks (see link below), is followed. The only exception to this rule is when an instructor is moving from a part-time appointment to one that is full-time, when a new letter of offer is required. The reason for this exception is that Faculty Affairs is part of the process for 100% instructors, but not for those that are less than full-time.
Effective with reviews due Fall 2010 and thereafter, the formation of a Primary Unit Evaluation Committee (PUEC) is required. This committee must be made up of at least two members. At least half of the members must be tenured or tenure-track faculty. Faculty may come from cognate departments if necessary. The associate dean must be informed of the composition of the PUEC prior to commencing the review process.
After the reappointment materials have been reviewed and the Recommendation form has been signed by the Associate Dean, the form is sent to the department’s staff member. The instructor is given the Recommendation form and asked to either accept the recommendation or give notice of resignation. The original form then is returned to the Dean’s office. A reappointment notification letter is generated in the Dean’s office and it, along with original form, is sent to Faculty Affairs. One set of the letter and form is sent to the candidate and one to the department. The staff assistant notifies the Chair and files a copy in the department’s personnel file. The Dean’s office gives a copy of the Recommendation form to the A&S HR Center for entry into PeopleSoft and one copy goes into the College’s personnel file for the faculty member, whereupon the process is complete.
Contact Susan Sires at 303-492-4933 or via e-mail at Susan.Sires@colorado.edu with questions regarding the instructor reappointment process.
Instructor Reappointment Materials
- Instructor Reappointment Checklist (opens in Word)
- Tips for Completion of Instructor Reappointment Notebooks (opens in Word)
- Recommendation and Notification Form (previously called the Summary form) (opens in Excel)
- Template for requesting student letters of evaluation (opens in Word)
- Academic Affairs Takes Action on BFA Instructor Task Force Recommendations — a 12/9/08 memo from Provost Philip DiStefano. (PDF)
- Additional Teaching Assignment Allowances for the College of Arts and Sciences
- Boulder Campus Guidelines for the Appointment, Evaluation, and Promotion of Lecturer and Instructor Rank Faculty (PDF)
- Instructor Appointment Guidelines – Dean’s memo dated 10/18/2011 (PDF)
- Instructor Rank Reappointment Evaluations, Standards for – Personnel Committee memo dated 4/7/2011 (opens in Word)
- Non-Reappointment Appeal Process for Instructor Rank Faculty Members (PDF File)
- Promotion to Senior Instructor
- Ten Ideas for Satisfying “Multiple Measures of Teaching” (PDF)
- Service Suggestions from the College (opens in Word)