‘Yes Men’ hoaxsters to appear at CU on Feb. 1
The University of Colorado’s Conference on World Affairs Athenaeum Series will host a free public event, “The Yes Men: Fixing the World One Hoax at a Time” with sociopolitical satirists Andy Bichlbaum and Mike Bonanno of The Yes Men on Tuesday, Feb. 1 at 7 p.m. in the University Memorial Center Ballroom.
The Yes Men raise awareness of social and political issues through large-scale hoaxes that often include impersonation of corporate and government representatives, as well as the creation of mock websites and press releases.
They have produced two films documenting their work: “The Yes Men” and “The Yes Men Fix the World,” which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival.
The CWA Athenaeum Series is a student-run offshoot of the Conference on World Affairs. The program brings acclaimed speakers and performers to campus to interact with CU students in classes throughout the academic year.
A typical Athenaeum program also includes a public event, which is free and open to all. Past visitors have included Sister Helen Prejean, Monty Python’s Terry Jones, Susan Faludi, and Richard Rodriguez.
The Sixty-third Annual Conference on World Affairs will take place April 4-8, 2011. All Conference sessions are free and open to the public.
Jan. 20, 2011
- NPR journalist to discuss immigration ‘inaction’
- Oscar-nominated Director Steve James comes to CU
- Jenni Schaefer talks on eating and body image issues
- ONE.org CEO brings poverty-fighting message to CU
- Acclaimed New Orleans jazz artists in free concert
- Pulitzer winner to discuss ‘reclaiming government’
- Nuke expert discusses 'duck and cover' and beyond
- 'Global warming comedy' set to screen here
- Toyota exec addresses auto crisis
- World Affairs Conference touts 'free thinking'