There are people ‘actually willing to help those in need’

Lea Ann White

Six questions for Lea Ann White, University of Colorado student and recipient of a Buffalo Bicycle Classic Scholarship.

1.     What are you studying, and what drew you to this discipline?

I am studying sociology. At the beginning of my undergraduate journey, I took many different classes, and sociology drew me in. I was originally going to try and do pre-med, but the hard sciences did not agree with me.

I know that I want to help people who are less fortunate, and sociology exposes me to the harsh society we live in and helps me stay motivated in achieving good for the less fortunate. I now plan on getting my master’s degree in criminal justice. I don’t know what field I want to go into. I just know I want to help victims of any unfortunate event.

2.     What do you hope to be doing in a decade?

In a decade, I would love to have a solid career in the field of my choice (criminal-justice related) and I will also be 32, so I will be thinking about a family as well.

3.     If you could tell a prospective college student only one thing about higher education, what would it be?

I would tell them that they should not limit themselves to what their parents want or to what they originally planned for themselves. Make sure to explore all programs and classes to make sure you are really going to mold yourself into something that you truly want to do or perhaps need to do.

There are opportunities for all people, and you just need to find the one that fits you correctly. This is about you. No one else should have judgment about what you do with your life.

4.     What have you found most memorable or meaningful about your time at CU?

The most meaningful thing that sticks in my head about attending CU is that I, all on my own, did what no one has ever done in my family. I fell on my rear end and didn’t think I would be able to get up. But with determination and lost of support, I made it.

5.     What activities or extracurricular activities do you participate in on campus?

Since I am such an independent student, I mostly spend my time working. I also volunteer, but it is not through any CU organizations. However, I am not encouraging you to stick to the outside. Explore, research and don’t get too involved.

6.     What does it mean to you that you were selected as a Buffalo Bicycle Classic scholar?

Being selected as a BBC scholar means that I was one of the fortunate students who was chosen and that there are people who are actually willing to help those in need. I feel like receiving this scholarship meant that someone was making sure that I would be a successful student who would one day be a CU graduate.

The Elevations Buffalo Bicycle Classic, which raises funds for scholarships, includes ride distances of 14, 35, 50, 70 and 100 miles. To learn more about the Sept. 11 event or to register, click here.

July 2011

Similar Posts: