Peking Opera to give performances, workshops
The highly regarded Qi Shu Fang Peking Opera Company will present workshops and public performances at the University of Colorado Boulder Sept. 5-8, hosted by the Department of Theatre and Dance and the Center for Asian Studies.
Founded in 1987 by Qi Shu Fang, the company is dedicated to the preservation and performance of Peking Opera, a traditional Chinese theatre form that combines music, vocal performance, mime, dance and acrobatics.
The company tours the world teaching workshops and performing, while also providing training for new performers.
While in Boulder, the company will offer four days of public workshops and performances.
The company’s residency is supported by the Roser Visiting Artist Endowment and funded in part by the Implementation of Multicultural Perspectives and Approaches in Research and Teaching Awards Program and by the Center for Asian Studies.
Qi Shu Fang Peking Opera Company schedule of events
Admission to all events is free and open to the public.
11 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 5: A public screening of “Little Tiger,” followed by a discussion at noon. Acting Studio, room C-242, Theatre Building
2 p.m. Friday, Sept. 6: Make-up demonstration. Basement, Theatre Building.
2 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7: Combat workshop. Loft Theatre, Theatre Building.
2 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 8: Four-part public performance featuring “Ribbon Dance,” “Fighting in the Dark,” The Art of Face Mask Changing” and “The Monkey King and Princess Iron Fan.” University Theatre, Theatre Building.
- Pulitzer Prize-winning CU grad debuts new opera
- Ted Stark: The costume technologist
- ‘Little Women’—times two—at CU in April
- Students, major hip-hop company premiere ‘Heaven’
- CU-Boulder springs into Shakespeare Jan. 16-May 1
- CU seizes a Wilde opportunity for collaboration
- ‘Rent’ hits CU stage with diverse cast
- CU students get to crack open ‘Book of Mormon’
- New fine-arts school closer to becoming reality
- [UN]W.R.A.P.: International dancers, choreographers and scholars converge on Boulder