Oscar-nominated Director Steve James comes to CU
The University of Colorado’s Conference on World Affairs Athenaeum will host director and producer Steve James for a free film screening and public talk Jan. 29 and 31.
In conjunction with the International Film Series, the CWA Athenaeum will screen “No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson” on Tuesday, Jan. 29 at 7 p.m. in Muenzinger Auditorium. The free screening will be followed by a Q&A session with Steve James.
On Wednesday, Jan. 30, a free public talk by James, “It’s a Mad Mad Filmmaking World: The Art of Self-Unemployment,” will take place in the University Memorial Center Ballroom at 7 p.m. Both events are free and open to the public.
Steve James served as director, producer and co-editor of “Hoop Dreams,” which was nominated for an Academy Award and won every major critics award in 1994.
He has had five feature films selected for the Sundance Film Festival, including: “Stevie,” “No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson” and most recently in 2011, “The Interrupters.” James is in pre-production on “Life Itself,” a documentary on Roger Ebert based on the memoir written by Ebert.
The CWA Athenaeum Series is a student-run offshoot of the Conference on World Affairs. The program brings acclaimed presenters to campus to interact with CU students in classes throughout the academic year. Athenaeum programs also each include a public event, which is always free and open to all.
For more information on the Conference on World Affairs, see: http://www.colorado.edu/cwa/
Jan. 22, 2013
- ‘Yes Men’ hoaxsters to appear at CU on Feb. 1
- NPR journalist to discuss immigration ‘inaction’
- Nuke expert discusses 'duck and cover' and beyond
- Ebert Interruptus plans to go Cuckoo this year
- Pulitzer winner to discuss ‘reclaiming government’
- 'Global warming comedy' set to screen here
- ONE.org CEO brings poverty-fighting message to CU
- Jenni Schaefer talks on eating and body image issues
- Sen. Chuck Hagel headlines World Affairs Conference
- Acclaimed New Orleans jazz artists in free concert